Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Maybelline Color Show Limited Edition Nail Polish - Boho Gold & Avante Green

Hi All! Sorry it has been so quiet on my end. I've been sick for over a week and a half with an upper respiratory infection and a stomach virus all rolled up into 1; sounds dandy does it not ? :) - I finally gathered enough energy to actually be able to type something, and get up a short companion review for the Maybelline Color Show Limited Edition 2012 nail polishes that I bought several weeks ago in the colors Boho Gold and Avante Green. These were really the only 2 of the collection that caught my eye during the Maybelline Buy 1 get 1 50% off sale at my local RiteAid.

Boho Gold: In the bottle is a gorgeous duo-chrome gold with a hint of blue-green. On the nails the first 2 coats were a disappointment, the color is sheer and the duo-chrome effect does not translate fully. You will need 3 coats to get the full effect of this polish and considering you are only getting .23fl oz, this bottle will probably go by quickly. The final color, is an antiqued gold with a slight hint of green in certain lights.



Boho Gold
2 coats - Boho Gold
1 coat - Boho Gold



3 coats - Boho Gold


Avante Green: In the bottle its a green polish with hints of blue to make it like a duo-chrome. The application problems continued with this color, with the first 2 coats being sheer and lacking of that duo-chrome color. You will need 3 coats minimum to get the same color that appears in the bottle. The final color is a metallic green with very minimal duo-chrome effect, the blue is hardly noticeable.
Avante Green
1 coat - Avante Green
2 coats - Avante Green



3 coats - Avante Green


Pros:
  • Pretty Colors - The final color was pretty
  • Price: $3.99 (Check your local pharmacy weekly ad for Buy 1 get 1 50% off)


Cons:
  • Quality - Took 3 coats to achieve opacity and get similar results to the color in the bottle
  • Duo-Chrome effect did not translate well to the nail
  • Amount of Product - Only getting .23 fl.oz.
  • Availability - Available at most drugstores, but they are Limited Edition Colors


I am loving duo-chrome for fall, but it's hard to find a true duo-chrome that translates to the nail well, there are very few that I have found that are able to do that, like OPI The Amazing Spiderman Collection in Spotted the Lizard (which I do not own, but the last time I went for a pedi I had it put on my toes & it was gorgeous! - You may be able to find this collection at your local beauty supply store or Ulta), and HardCandy Beetle (Available at Walmart $4) - but again you do need at least 2 to 3 coats to get the full effect, I guess this is just a curse of the duo-chrome colors. It is something I can live with. However, these polishes were a bit of a disappointment, so much so that I'm not really sure I would dare to venture into anymore Maybelline Color Show Nail Polishes, which is a shame, because they have quite the variety. Maybe it was just the bottles that I got, but has anyone else had the same issues? And should I give Maybelline nail polishes a second chance? - Stay Beautiful!

Love,

Helen

YouTube Reviewhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj8bOsWkEa0&feature=plcp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...