Sunday, October 6, 2013

Julep Maven October 2013 'It Girl' Box ! & Add Ons

Let me just say, first off, how excited I was to get this box, I loved the colors in the It Girl Box and I had to treat myself to 2 of the add-ons that really caught my eye. If you haven't guessed it already, I'm going to be reviewing my October 2013 Julep Maven Box in the profile It Girl: Ciara, Kendra, & Missy. In addition, I picked up 2 extras, Beatrix and Casper.





IT GIRL


Ciara

Ciara

Ciara

This is a gorgeous deep plum polish with a little red tone to it. It has a lot of shimmer that reflects predominately teal. This polish needed 2 coats to reach full opacity. This color really threw me off gaurd, I did not think I would like it as much as I did when I finally applied it to the nail.  It is a rich color and that strong teal shimmer contrast catches the eye. It is a beautiful fall color!

Ciara (2 coats)

Ciara (2 coats)


Kendra

Kendra

Kendra

This polish is a mossy green with shimmer that reflects green and maybe a little bit of gold when it catches the light just right. This is definitely a 2 coater. This color for some reason did not do much for me. Maybe it's because I really don't wear too much green nail polish, but I did not find this to be a very unique color. However, I can see it being a great fall color, just not one of my favorites out of this box.

Kendra (2 coats)

Kendra (2 coats)


Missy


Missy

Missy

This polish is a silver metallic with silver shimmer. With this polish you can really get away with 1 coat, which I was pretty impressed with, considering most of the Julep polishes I have tried need the required 2 coats.  I think the fact that this polish is chuck full of silver shimmer in a sheer silver bases, is pretty surprising.  In addition, this polish is really metallic! I know that silver and metallic nails have been a big trend for a good year already, but this polish really has a beautiful silver reflect to it, it is absolutely gorgeous and at times a little blinding.  This color is great for fall and can take you straight into winter and the holidays! Color me impressed!

Missy (2 coats)

Missy (2 coats)


ADD-ONs


Casper

Casper

Casper

This polish is a sheer base chuck full of shimmer that reflects white and silver.  I think this is more of a top coat kind of color than one that most people would wear alone. Don't get me wrong, you can very easily wear this color alone if you are looking to go a little minimalist without actually going bare-nailed.  I was really drawn in by this color because of its promise to be 'glow in the dark', and it doesn't have a green tinge or cloudiness to it like some other glow in the dark polishes on the market.

Casper (2 coats)

Casper (2 coats)

But, the real question is, does it really GLOW?? The Answer: A little bit...with 2 coats on, to the eye in the dark it does glow minimally, not as vibrant as the bottle does. The camera did not pick up on the subtle glow from the nails, but I swear they did glow...a little. I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed by it, because you pay extra for the Add-Ons and this one just was not worth it. In all honesty, I have bought $2.99 glow in the dark polish from the drugstore that glowed stronger than this one did. I would say if you're looking for a glow in the dark polish, look elsewhere.

Casper (2 coats - in the dark)


Beatrix

Beatrix

Beatrix

This is a clear based glitter with black and holographic micro glitter, some medium sized black glitter, and a larger gold hexagon glitter.  Just like some other glitters out there, this one may need a little placing for the larger black and gold glitters.  The formula was a little thick, but it dried fairly quickly, so it made for quick layering. I think as a top coat, you could get away with 1-2 coats.  It is a very pretty and unique combination of glitter. Those little micro holographic glitters really add a little WOW to this polish. Also, you can layer this glitter to get a bit more coverage to be worn alone, for that I would probably recommend 3-4 coats, and a clear top coat just to keep it glossy.

Beatrix (L-R: 2 coats, 4 coats, 2 coats)

Beatrix (Top-Bottom: 2 coats, 4 coats, 2 coats)


Highlights:
  • Overall great formulation of the polishes
  • Majority of the polishes needed 2 coats
  • Great drying time
  • Beautiful fall colors
  • Layered effortlessly
  • Price of Individual Polish: $14
  • Price of Julep Maven Monthly Subscription: $19.99
  • Availability: Sephora, Julep

Overall, I was very happy with this month's box, there were a few misses but not enough that I would say I was disappointed. If you are a polish lover and looking for a good nail polish subscription box, I would have to say that the Julep Maven program would be the way to go. They are very flexible, in that you can pick out 1 of 4 different boxes, and you can skip as many months as you want, you can send your box to a friend, etc...it really is great.  If you are interested in signing up, here is a link and you can use code FREEBOX , MAVENBFF, or FREEMAVEN (to get your first box free, to see if you like the program).

Let me know what you all think, and if you have any questions, leave them in the comments section below.

Stay Beautiful!

Love,

Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...