Wednesday, October 3, 2012

BzzAgent - Unreal 77 Candy Peanut Butter Cups




Hi everyone! As some of you may know from a previous post, I am a bzzagent. A BzzAgent receives samples or coupons to try out certain products ranging from beauty, food, and electronics. As a BzzAgent you are able to share your honest opinion about the product and at the same time get to try something new. As a BzzAgent, I was invited to join the Unreal Candy campaign and was sent coupons to purchase 1 free Unreal Candy and other coupons to share with friends and family that were Buy 1 get 1 Free. After many days of searching for individually wrapped Unreal Candy, I finally found it!! I picked up the Unreal Candy Peanut Butter Cups. At one point I was very tempted to pick up a huge bag from my local BJs, or Pharmacy, but I restrained myself, as I can tend to be a little finicky when it comes to my chocolate.



Here's a little background on this product: (The following was taken directly from the website)

"We've just unjunked America's favorite candy and true to Nicky's dream, we think it tastes better without the corn syrup, the artificial ingredients, and the partially hydrogenated oils.  Not to mention less sugar.  We even added more cacao, real caramel (not corn syrup dyed to look like caramel), more peanuts, protein, and fiber. All this is the product of the UNREAL™ culture.  We’re building an eclectic mix of people from different walks and experiences.  A Kashi guy.  One from Google.  An interior decorator.  A P&G’er.  A guitarist from Glaceau.  A guy from Mars.  An actual Oompa Loompa.  A dog named Lola.  You’d never find these people together in any other company in the world.  But it works.  Why?  Because we’re drawn together by a common mission.  To challenge what we’ve come to accept in our food and its effect on our health.  To change the way junk food is made here in America and around the world.  To unjunk the world™."

Essentially, they have made our old favorites, into new and improved, better for you alternatives. My purpose here, is to let you know whether or not they were successful at fulfilling this task.

Unfortunately, as I said above, I was only able to get my hands on UNREAL 77 Peanut Butter Cups.

The packaging is modern and eye catching.

My unwrapping process. So far so good! I am immediately hit by the smell of chocolate.

The cup is thinner than your regular "Reeses" and is missing the little individual cup wrapper, which I find to be convenient so you don't get your finger too full of chocolate. But still, so far I can live with that.

I thought the little stamp on the back was just flat out adorable, I almost felt a little bad taking a bite out of it...Only a little :)

At first, the first bite was pleasant, however I found that there was serious lacking of that peanut butter that I was looking forward to. The chocolate really overwhelmed the peanut butter. Don't get me wrong, the peanut butter was delicious, as it tasted like homemade peanut butter, but I was unable to enjoy it as the chocolate flavor really overpowered it.

As you can see, there is a very thin layer of peanut butter in there. I was a little disappointed by this, and found myself with a very strong very sweet chocolate aftertaste, that I did not really enjoy too much. As I mentioned above, I'm a little finicky when it comes to my chocolate. I found the chocolate to be a little too sweet.

Here are the real benefits you are getting from choosing this product over the original. You have more fiber, more protein  less sodium, less fat , less sugar, and less calories. No Artificials, No Hydrogenateds, No Corn Syrups, No Preservatives, No GMOs. All great things, however, I'm not sure the sacrifice I'm making for my tastebuds, is really worth it?

Pros:

  • Great for someone who prefers a more chocolate to peanut butter ratio
  • Tastes good, just not my speed.
  • A great alternative as it has less or none of the "bad" stuff that the original does.
  • Comes in a decent variety of different classic favorite chocolate "dupes"
  • Price: $1.19


Cons:

  • Not great if you are really looking forward to that balance between peanut butter and chocolate, as it is lacking in the peanut butter flavor.
  • Availability: I have seen the larger bags of these products in the pharmacy and BJs. However, I had a very difficult time trying to find individually wrapped Unreal Candy.

Overall, as much as this alternative totes a healthier punch, and a very chocolate-y goodness. I still find that it has not yet hit the right balance between the chocolate and the peanut butter. For all you chocolate lovers out there, I am sure that this ratio of chocolate to peanut butter wont bother you. But, for me, it was a little bit of deal breaker, as it is the peanut butter taste that really draws me to the original peanut butter cups, and this one just did not do for me. I cannot really speak on behalf of the other Unjunked candy that they have such as: Unreal 54 Chocolate Candy Shell Peanuts (M&M Peanut replacement); Unreal 41 Chocolate Candy Shell (M&M replacement); Unreal 5 Chocolate Caramel Nougat (Milkyway replacement); Unreal 8 Chocolate Caramel Peanuts Nougat (Snickers replacement). You can find the nutrition facts comparisons on the UnReal Candy Website: www.getunreal.com . I would say, give it a try if you find them, maybe you can find yourself feeling a little less guilty when you indulge! ;) Something we all would love! Stay Beautiful!

Love,

Helen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...